Friday, February 19, 2010

angst for the memories

i had a very funny notion about stalker songs and in doing some research into them i learned that there are a lot more out there than i realized. it is quite humorous to me to think about how many pop songs have catchy little hooks and fun lyrics that get people to sing along with them without actually listening to what the words are. there are a lot more than almost everyone realizes.

the first song that came to mind was Rick Springfield's song Jesse's Girl. with lyrics like:
You know, I wish that I had Jessie's girl,
I wish that I had Jessie's girl
Where can I find a woman like that
I play along with the charade,
there doesn't seem to be
a reason to change
You know, I feel so dirty
when they start talking cute
I wanna tell her that I love her,
but the point is probably moot
'Cos she's watching him with those eyes
And she's lovin' him with that body,
I just know it
And he's holding her
in his arms late, late at night

That is the very deffiniton of what im talking about. veiled innuendos alluding to things that every love-sick person thinks, but doesnt want to allow themselves to acknowledge. i love the fact that these songs make it to number 1 on the billboard charts and people just never notice how depraved they are.

another prime example, The Police had a huge hit that is quite timeless with Every Breath You Take. people think to write the lyrics off as being romantic and about a loving relationship but any previous stalker/obsessed disenfranchised person knows that lyrics such as these:
Oh, can't you see
You belong to me?
How my poor heart aches
With every step you take
Every move you make
Every vow you break
Every smile you fake, every claim you stake
I'll be watching you

are specifically identified with by serial stalkers.

everyone seems to think that to make something vicious and frightening it has to be plain in what is said. in songs like Stripped, Raped, Strangled and Fucked With A Knife its plain just from the names of the songs what to expect from the lyrics. no subtleties there.

other great stalking/stalker songs are:
Obsession by Animotion
I Want You To Want Me by Cheap Trick

almost certainly songs that everyone knows, even now, 30 years after some of these songs were originally released. i find it pretty funny and ironic.

so, its time for some happy stalkings. next time you are singing along to some pop music, just have a listen to the lyrics and read between the lines. try to find the meanings behind the terrible presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment